Tuesday, September 15, 2009

a natural consequence

Vacuuming is a task that I perform every other day, if not more, especially when I have a crawling baby on the loose. A while back I got a new vacuum that has a hard surface setting and so I have taken to just vacuuming my whole downstairs, tile and all. Saves me time and energy and I don't have to mess with that pesky dust pan.

A couple of years ago, I picked up the floor and then began to vacuum. There was a baby doll dress just poking out of the playroom and I thought I could just edge right up to it and leave the dress alone. Lazy, I know. But like I said before, I do this task multiple times a week, I'm allowed lazy once in a while. Anyway, I grossly underestimated the suction capabilities of my vacuum and WHOOSH, up the dress went. Screeching and moaning ensued as Stella watched the vacuum EAT her toys! The horror!!

A natural consequence.

I couldn't have had better results if I had masterminded the whole thing myself (instead of the accident that it really was). She came to realize the vacuum would eat the toys if they were left out.

Now days, I simply pull the vacuum out of the closet and say, "Mom's going to vacuum, make sure the floor is clean." They scramble like mice for a crumb of cheese. Grabbing toys and running to the playroom. I start in the front of the house, and by the time I get back to the family room they have usually taken care of their task.

Could I ask for more?

I'm thinking of naming my vacuum THE MOTIVATOR.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Reba said...

ha! I love it.

Janna G said...

That is awesome. I just threaten to throw away anything left out. It may be cruel, but it works.

Unknown said...

That's funny, I do the same thing. Nothing gets toys off the floor faster than the sound of my vacuum! Although you are much more ambitious, I only vacuum once a week!

Beth and Mark said...

It reminds me of Mr Mom when Shark eats his wookie (blanket) then Mr Mom gets the blanket out and staples it back together. Classic.