Friday, May 9, 2008

Mothering


I have been a mother I relatively short amount of time, compared to some of the pros around me. However, in the 4 years of mommy-hood, I would like to think that I have learned a few things from my experiences.


* sleep really DOES seem better when you haven't had any for a LONG time!

* cuddles and loves from a 1 year old seem to erase memories of the screaming tantrum that proceeded the cuddles

* picnics on the carpet in January bring a little spring into your life

* date nights are CHERISHED

* no matter how long my child goes without milk, they will wait, because they WONT take a bottle and the truth be told, that makes me happy.

* the smell of a newborn baby is so precious and is not duplicated

* 4 people in a king size bed can get squishy, but it also feels very safe and cozy sometimes too

* Food can be thrown farther than I ever imagined

* the first time a child says "mommy" is burned into my memory and will go down as some of my greatest moments in life

* Little tiny shoes in the store will always make me smile and ooh and ahh

* Daddies are VERY IMPORTANT people in the lives of MOMMIES & KIDS

* sand and rocks can entertain for hours--who cares about messes

* the smell of freshly bathed children with damp hair makes me feel peaceful

* I always feel better at night after checking on my kids for the 2nd time. . .

* I have given up many of my less desirable habits because I don't want them to pass on to my kids

* I should give up even more

* I cherish time with family

* being pregnant and giving birth is a MIRACLE

* hearing my 4 year old sing primary songs as she plays, makes my heart sing

* saying family prayer brings us closer

* the Lord watches over mommies and their kids


*AS A MOTHER I HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED, BLESSED, STRENGTHENED AND REFINED


and I wouldn't have it any other way.



WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED?

11 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Look at that sweet, sweet picture. It's priceless.

I've learned that I am changing as my children grow. I see things differently and have a better understanding of principles and the teachings of our leaders.

Happy Mother's Day Megan.

Shayla said...

Oh my goodness, that picture is so sweet. Motherhood has taught me that I have strength in myself that I never knew existed. Thanks for your great list.

Sara said...

Megan,

Thanks for the wonderful list. I love to hear your views of motherhood. You have always exuded what a great mother is. Happy Mothers Day.

Jan said...

I really couldn't have said it better on what I've learned. You did a good job.

But I would say that I have learned that unconditional love can sometimes be a huge challenge, but it is always worth it in at the end of the challenges. Nothing is worth losing a relationship over.

Love the picture of you and kids and I hope your day was wonderful..

Camille said...

What a beautiful post, and a beautiful picture.

l.a.c. said...

soon there will be three little bodies resting on your body -- isn't that a delightful thought? beautiful photo megan...and it symbolizes your mommyhood -- loving, thoughtful, and meaningful.

Ben and Carrie said...

I've learned a lot as a mother as well and I've learned a lot from you! You are such a wonderful mother and you've always put your kids first! They are so lucky to have you as a mom, and I'm lucky to have such a great sister and example like you! Happy Mother's Day!
Carrie

naturaljoy said...

well said!

Kate said...

oh I loved your list!! And I agree with absolutly all of them :)
That picture made me smile...it would make a perfect painting of what motherhood is about!

Melissa C said...

I LOVE that picture. You are such a great mom, not only for the fact that you can get your children to sleep on you. We miss you guys!

Ms. Kristen said...

I took a peek at your blog! Wondering how you are doing?
I loved the post about your mom! I have always admired your mother and want to be just like her! She is wonderful! You are following in her footsteps!