Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Mom

Of course, this week I have been thinking about mothers. And, in my current condition (pregnant) the very thought of moms and babies and kids leaves me weepy. Of course, because these things are close to my heart and all around me, inside and out!

But I did want to pay tribute to my mother. Moms come in all shapes and sizes, with different talents and skills, different ideals and dreams but in the long and short of it, all mothers TEACH. They teach us by example and by purpose.





Here are some great things that my mom has taught me (in no particular order)





1. How to cook for a crowd. My family is thankful for this skill on a daily basis.





2. Not to be afraid of hard work. Being a mother is hard work, as are most worthwhile things in life. She taught me to get in there and do my best.


3. Babies are precious and time moves quickly. She showed me how to treasure those moments and hold my babies tight and ENJOY. I remember as a kid wanting to hold my siblings and it was a challenge for my mom to let go for a moment. She LOVED her babies (and kids).





4. How to bake a mean chocolate chip cookie, cinnamon rolls, bread, etc. She is an amazing baker and cook. We still reap the rewards of her cooking:)





5. Roll your sleeves up and jump into the party. In fact, when looking for a picture for this post, I had a hard time find one that I thought she would approve of because many of them she is in a swimsuit, of having her hair done by a 3 year old, or cleaning, or chasing kids. She is that kind of mom and grandma, she gets down and PLAYS. She will get into a swimsuit and be one of the first to run in the waves at the beach.





6. Help others! I have seen her pregnant, sick, busy, up to her neck with projects and she always finds time to help a neighbor or ward member or child.





7. That sometimes, CHOCOLATE will help you feel better.





8. LAUGH. When we were first married, the thing KC noticed most about my mom was her laugh and the ability to do it all the time and find humor in life. She has an infectious laugh and I LOVE it. I love to tell her my kids doings, because she always laughs and I will laugh too.





9. How to bargain shop. I've mentioned before, we enjoy shopping. Looking for deals and scanning the isles of TJMaxx.





10. That NOTHING, Not a single thing, compares to a MOTHER'S LOVE. A mothers kiss can heal wounds and dry tears, a mothers encouragement can move mountains and a mothers support can change a life.

Thanks mom, for all you are in my life.






9 comments:

TaylorClan said...

I STILL get weepy, when I hear the primary kids sing Mother I Love You, and The Grandmother Song. We are so lucky to have come from and been taught by great women!

Shayla said...

I've had the opportunity to get to know your mother a little bit as she is my visiting teacher since the ward split. She has such a sweet spirit about her and I can tell she really cares. We are lucky to have such wonderful moms who have taught us well and continue to be there for us and our children, as well.

Debie Spurgeon said...

This makes me happy because I know your mom and I know that each of these qualities you mentioned are completely, 100% true.

Your mom is amazing, you two are so lucky to have each other so close by.

Sara said...

Happy Mothers Day "Week"! I loved hearing your learning experiences from your mom. What an incredible woman.

Jan said...

You are exactly right. She is all that and more. What a blessing to have such a wonderful role model and friend. She just doesn't disappoint. You have a wonderful Mothers Day yourself surrounded in love.

Van said...

Now you made me cry! You make me sound better than I think I really am - but I loved reading it any way!!

Natasha said...

I love your mom and now I love her even more reading these things!

l.a.c. said...

you said it -- she is amazing and i am so thankful for her influence in my life too. her knowledge, humor, service, and love is evident in everything she does.

Ben and Carrie said...

What a great tribute to an amazing woman! Ditto to everything you said. Our children are certainly blessed to have such a wonderful Nana!

And thank goodness for her knowledge of a mean chocolate chip cookie! I will ALWAYS be thankful for that! :)