Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mud Buddies

As I have previously mentioned, we have been working in our yard lately. We have cut up sod, had concrete poured, and now are working on some landscaping borders. It will all be very nice and decorative when it is done. But, in the meantime, it means lots of dirt! Dirt is one thing to be reckoned with and it alone is not so bad. When you mix water and two kids in with it, you have a BIG MESS! DAILY! Maybe several times DAILY!
I have always thought of myself as pretty laid back about messes and dirt, after all, it's a kid's right and job to play and make messes! Lately, I find myself about to pull my hair out about all the mud, everywhere. On the towels, on the tile, carpet, stairs, sheets, you name it, we've mudded it!
I finally think I have come to a compromise though. I have started just putting the kids in their swimsuits anytime they head to the back yard. Then, before they come back inside, I just hose them down--head to toe. I will admit, this is kind of rewarding for me as well. They squeal and giggle and promise they'll never play in the mud again. . .

I know the truth, they'll be back at it before lunch!
They are certainly taking their "kid responsibilities" seriously. They play hard, get dirty, pretend, eat Popsicles and enjoy life with the best!


5 comments:

Sara said...

Isn't mud great. Well, as long as it stays outside. :) Happy 4th!

Van said...

Reminds me of another girl and boy that tried to plant cherry branches in the mud and thought they would grow. When that didn't work out they tried to make a swimming pool in the garden spot in the back yard. No mater how much water they put in, it just wouldn't stay. We had mud everywhere.

Lisa Christine said...

You are a better mother than I am! Mud makes me cringe and I hate to say it, but I usually don't let my children get dirty. Isn't that just terrible? I know it is...but I am trying to get better :)

Ben and Carrie said...

Gotta love the mud- next time I'm there, I'll order a mud fudge brownie with ice cream.....

You need to post pictures of your "new" back yard- I haven't seen the new and improved one.

Stay clean!

Holly said...

How fun! We love mud!