Saturday, April 11, 2009

lessons learned

It's late, and I've been thinking. These two things aren't always a good combination.

My sister is expecting twin babies soon. I can feel the "birth energy" in the air. We think of her and those babies constantly. We wonder when "it" will happen, the birth of her little darlings. Two more little nephews to join the family. I am excited. She is nesting, preparing their space for new life. We have talked of little else recently, for which I am grateful.

These chats have given me time to reflect and talk about the wonders of pregnancy, labor and birth. As women we have a special work. I have been remembering the lessons I have learned from three of themost amazing times in my life.
I have never posted my birth stories, I have kept them stored away. But I wanted to record these lessons that I keep remembering.

First Baby:
Everything is new, I had to discoverd what I wanted to be my birth plan.
I learned of my own strength. The ability I have to grow another person inside my body--amazing. I found a community of strong women who birthed naturally. I found the strength to bring Stella into this world naturally, despite my fears of pain. I found my inner strength and allowed my body to do it's woman's work. I felt new confidence in my body and mind.

With her birth, I became a mother. My life has never been the same, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Second Baby:
What a beautiful pregnancy and delivery. My birth plan fulfilled. My confidence doubled.

Then I learned about the fourth trimester, a time for healing. As I jumped into life with two kids and a busy home, I forgot about giving my mind and body time to recover from pregnancy and birth and adjust. I found that maybe I don't adjust as fast as others--and that's o.k. We all move differently and I had to find my rhythm and care for myself just as much as my babies. I healed and progressed and learned to take time and to ask for help when I needed it. I learned to vocalize a little more and communicate better.

Third Baby:
What a smooth pregnancy!
I had a birth plan in place and I was excited. Near the very end of the pregnancy I felt a strong need to change my plan. It was hard to do, the fear of disappointment worried me. I struggled and worried and questioned the feelings that I had. I prayed to know what to do. My prayers were answered, and very teary eyed, I changed my plans. I was nervous and anxious. When the day arrived, I had a calm peaceful feeling. Despite new birthing surroundings, I felt assured. This was what needed to be.
I learned through the experience to listen to the promptings. Mothers are inspired to know the right things for their babies and this birth taught me that lesson. I felt the Lord's guidance as He helped me to be in the right place at the right time to deliver my sweet Evelyn.

I am sure that my future will bring more lessons.

As for my sister, she is strong and capable. She too will learn and grow again in her second delivery. Her confindence will double. Her mother's heart will triple in size to love and adore two more babies. I admire her and pray for her in her woman's work.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Funny, but my sister is having twin too.

TaylorClan said...

I am just hoping for a non-eventful birth this time around. Thanks for having confidence in me and chatting with me-it's great to have sisters!

Sara said...

I am so grateful for learning all about my inner strength and the love that one mother can have for three children.

Lovely Lindsay said...

informed, aware, empowered, in tune.
love that.
love, lindsay