Tuesday, June 9, 2009

can we talk?

A couple of weeks ago, Stella and I went out to lunch. Just the two of us. It was a special day for her and I wanted to show her the she was special to me. We rarely get time alone, so this was an event. She chose the place and I drove...

On the way there she said, "Mom, will we have time to talk? Cuz I have lots of questions about things."
I replied, "Sure, baby. We'll talk."
She wanted to know about driving a car, my favorite food, what I did at her age, what kindergarten will be like, who my friends are etc. She thought of great things to talk about.

Our lunch went on in this fashion. Sitting across from each other, eating, talking, asking questions and learning about each other.

I had the most enjoyable time with her.

Since that night, as I pass her room, after tucking everyone into bed, I will hear a little voice say, "Mom, can we talk?" I go in and we chat.

I hope that I will always be able to say to her, "Sure baby. We'll talk."

I hope that she will always feel close enough to me to be able to share her thoughts and ask her questions.

I love you my Stelly girl...

6 comments:

Ben and Alissa said...

Very very sweet! My eyes teared up thinking about my little girl growing up and being as sweet.

::lindsay said...

I love it! What a sweet girl. This is so awesome because you are already laying the foundation for a great mother/daughter relationship

Rachael said...

It is those little moments that she will always remember.

Van said...

Miss Stella is a joy!!!!

Sara said...

What a fun way to stay connected to Stella, she seems like such a grown up little girl who is very happy.

Hollist Family said...

What a fun day. You are such a great mom. I bet Stella will always remember this day,,,