Monday, September 15, 2008

Accomplishment



We have planted a garden that is big enough to feed three families!! We eat all that we can, take it to neighbors and then usually still have produce rotting on the ground. This year I finally followed though on my thoughts to PRESERVE or can some of our goods.

I have done some canning in the past, with my mom to show me how. I have never attempted on my own, at our house, to bottle anything. I learned from an Enrichment class how to bottle tomatoes and so began the process.

I picked a 4 gallon bucket of tomatoes one day and put them in my sink so that I would be forced to do SOMETHING with them. KC was a great sport and we stood together at the sink and peeled tomatoes two different nights after the kids were in bed. As we stood there one night, he said, " It feels like we're in an episode of Frontier House!"

Now, while we don't really expect a filming crew to show up tomorrow and document our back to basic living, I did have to agree with him. Though people have been doing this for decades, and we certainly aren't the only people to be doing this now, we felt rather pioneer-ish. It was pioneering for US.

I feel a good sense of accomplishment as I put those bottles on my storage shelves and know that we did it! Bits of my garden, in bottles, on my shelves for use all winter long. Also, REAL admiration for those before us, who preserved ALL of their food for the winter!

8 comments:

Van said...

The tomatoes are beautiful! You did a good job. I think the hot packing lets you actually get more useable product in each jar. Good job!

Kate said...

Oh that is so cool, I wish I could do that if I could keep my kids from picking the green tomatoes!! lol.
Hope you are feeling well!

Stacia said...

I canned for the first time this year too! Your tomatoes look beautiful! I did tomatoes, peaches and a few jars of pears. A lot of work, but so good feeling!!

Heather said...

You peeled tomatoes? I just blanch them, is that what you do?

Megan said...

Heather,
Yes, we blanched them. So, mostly we just had to cut the stems and slip them out of the skin and then dice 'em up.

Debie Spurgeon said...

What a huge sense of accomplishment that is. The tomatoes look fantastic.

Camille said...

Awesome! I wish we could have done that together and I could have learned something new. I have only ever done peaches and that was quite awhile ago. Congrats!

TaylorClan said...

I am off to can peaches with Grant and Nina in a couple hours-I'm not brave enough to try it on my own. I hope my peaches turn out as well as your maters.